Monday 3 March 2008

I went to a ceramah to meet Nik Nazmi...



...and had the good fortune of meeting Tony Pua who was there to lend support to Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, the PKR candidate for Seri Setia, at the Barisan Rakyat's ceramah last night.


The ceramah was held at Dataran Glomac. It was drizzling. Some were seated along the five-foot way.


and some are seen standing...


and listening attentively to the ceramah...

I have been wanting to meet him, 26-year-old Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, the Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) candidate who will be contesting the Seri Setia state seat (SN32) in the Kelana Jaya Parliamentary constituency, where I reside.

Then someone told me of a PKR ceramah to be held at the Dataran Glomac, along the Public Bank in Kelana Jaya, on Sunday at 9.30pm. That's not too far away. It's easy to find because I pass the place almost daily on my way to send Adam, my grandson, to school.

So off we went, my husband (at the wheel) and I, with Adam tagging along and headed for Dataran Glomac at around 9.30pm. Within five minutes we were there. There was already a crowd when we arrived. Some among them were standing while others had found shelter and sitting on floor along the five-foot way because it was drizzling. They were watching a video of the candidate - articulating his agenda for his constituency - on a screen which had been put up.

The function didn’t start until around 10pm. The organizers, I suppose, were waiting for the crowd to build up. It had rained cats and dogs earlier. But by 10.45pm the crowd had grown slightly in size despite the drizzle and two PKR members had already given their speeches (the first speaker touched on the party's manifesto) and poet Dinsman recited a poem.

I was waiting to hear what Nik Nazmi has to say. I have heard a lot about him - a former student activist who is committed to his cause to make this country a better place for all and has promised to let the people's voice be heard if he was elected as their representative.

Unfortunately I did not get to hear him speak. By about 11.00pm Adam was already getting restless and sleepy. I had, however, met Nik Nazmi earlier on after asking around for the candidate. Before leaving I managed to snap a picture of Nik Nazmi with Tony Pua, who had come to lend his support.

I have a copy of Nik Nazmi's letter to the voters of Seri Setia in Bahasa Malaysia. But I shall paste what he says of the same in English from his website:

Dear fellow residents of Seri Setia,

I write to you as a young Malaysian. As with many of you, I deeply care for our country.

Lately, I could not help but notice important challenges which require urgent attention.

Our community in Seri Setia is riddled with increasing crime rate, insufficient housing facility for the less fortunate, inadequate schooling infrastructure for our children, higher cost of living for all of us and corruption within our government.

We can surely do better than that and we can begin by taking the first step toward a brighter future on March 8. Seri Setia requires a vocal representative whom is willing to serve the community without fear or favor.

Seri Setia needs a new hope.

Seri Setia needs a representative whom will be the catalyst of betterment and I am willing to be that catalyst. As an old adage goes, we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. Let us leave this world a better place for our children.

From the bottom of my heart, I offer you my service.
With your trust, I will be your voice and together, we will create a better Malaysia.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad

Candidate for N32 Seri Setia state seat

Nik Nazmi, a law graduate from King's College, Universty of London, will face incumbent Datin Paduka Seripah Noli Syed Hussin (BN-Umno).

He received his early education at La Salle Primary School in Petaling Jaya before entering the Malay Boys' College (MCKK).

Nik Nazmi joined Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB) as a legal officer upon graduation but left the organisation in June 2006 to join Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim as his private secretary.

Tony Pua from DAP will be contesting in P 106 Petaling Jaya Utara against Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun (BN-MCA)

6 comments:

Hi&Lo said...

Kak Ton,

Nik's letter is very heartfelt. I believe he's the right man to represent all Malaysians.

maria a samad (kak ton) said...

h&l,

Indeed he is. He comes across as a very sincere guy, committed to what he has been doing. He started a tuition centre for the needy. I dont think he is making empty promises. His track record speaks for him. That's what we sorely need - young people like him. And I was happy to see Tony Pua who was there last night to lend moral support.

My vote goes to Nik Nazmi(and to Tony too if he was standing in my constituency)!

Hi&Lo said...

Kak Ton,

The day Malaysia can embrace diversity in its national psyche, the sky is its limits for all Malaysians.

With regards my comments under Sharizat. Why shld we change for the tried and tested if the govt is sensitive to the people? Unfortunately BN's arrogance is beyond the threshold of tolerance.

Unknown said...

wow again ! I never been to a ceramah before. Looks interesting.

Anonymous said...

tok mommy,

I thought I saw you with Nuraina at the ceramah last night at the same place (Dataran Glomac). I recognised you both. You were talking to another lady. I saw you again later taking pictures.

It was a good crowd and the Barisan Rakyat had many speakers and the speeches were very informative.

I left early when PKR had the 1st ceramah on Sunday nigth because of the rain. Am glad I went again last night.

Anonymous said...

I will vote for Nik Nazmi. He is not a fake. He has been called a good man, an honest man. And a man of integrity by many whom I met at the ceramah.

My vote also goes to Loh, the PKR candidate for the Parliamentry seat.