Thursday 20 March 2008

Ku Li to challenge Pak Lah for Umno presidency

Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah has offered himself for the Umno presidency to “heal the party”, which he described to be "in a bad way.”

The 71-year-old former Finance Minister, who held the Gua Musang parliamentary seat since 1969, expressed willingness to take up the challenge if he was given the opportunity.

“I still have ideas, I am still brave because I am independent and I don’t depend on anyone. If my service is still needed and my strength can still be used, I am offering myself to work for the rakyat,” he told a press conference here yesterday.

Tengku Razaleigh challenged the then Umno president Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad in the 1987 party elections but lost.

He had recently distributed letters to all Umno divisions and branch heads, urging them to utilise a section in the party’s constitution to call for a special Umno EGM on May 11, the party’s anniversary, to discuss the dismal polls performance.

Full story here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of difficult. He needs at least 57 nominations to qualify as a candidate for the post of party president.

If there is enough groundwell, Ku Li might just get it.

Good try, ku li.

Anonymous said...

Radzi destroyed UMNO in Perlis. He had betrayed UMNO before.It will be no suprise if he joins KU LI and take with him the entire Perlis govt. I see it coming..

But blood is thicker than ideals.The malays will never let UMNO fall - even if they are in PAS!