Tuesday, 19 May 2009

BN not contesting Penanti

Barisan Nasional (BN) not be contesting in the Penanti by-election on May 31, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak announced after a BN supreme council meeting he chaired yesterday.

The decision was expected as Datuk Najib had previously indicated that BN was not interested in 'wasting public funds' by taking part in the by-election, which he said was a political game being played by the Opposition.

The seat fell vacant following the resignation of the former Penang Deputy Chief Minister (I), PKR's Mohammad Fairus Khairuddin. PKR has already named Mansor Othman as its candidate

Barisan will not contest in Penanti: Najib

KUALA LUMPUR: Barisan Nasional has decided not to contest the Penanti by-election on May 31, coalition chairman Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said.

Najib said the by-election was a political game being played by the Opposition and they did not want to play to their tune.

Despite calls for Barisan to contest in the by-election, Najib said the decision the coalition made on Monday was unanimous, after a lengthy discussion.

"Barisan’s priority is to serve the people and work to revive the country’s economy," said Najib, who is also Prime Minister, at a press conference here Monday evening.

He had earlier chaired the Barisan supreme council meeting where the issue was discussed.

Asked if the decision might disappoint Barisan supporters in Penanti, Najib said he did not think so as the coalition would still face the people during the next general election.

He added that the decision not to contest would not affect the service provided to the people, and the coalition would serve in Penanti and Permatang Pauh in its own way.

On whether there had ever been a by-election in which Barisan had not contested, he said was informed there was one instance before.

However, he added that there had never been a case before where one was held under the same circumstances as Penanti.

The Penanti state seat fell vacant on April 17, after the resignation of PKR assemblyman Mohammad Fairus Khairuddin, who also quit as Penang Deputy Chief Minister I.

Pakatan Rakyat has chosen PKR’s Dr Mansor Othman as its candidate for the by-election.

Nomination has been set for May 23. Ther Star


Anonymous said...

For once I agree with the PM. BN should not dance to the tune of the Opposition and be drawn to their gimmick.

Why go into the lion's den when you know you are going to be killed? Wise move, I say.

Of course BN critics & the Opposition supporters will say the decision is proof NB's fear of losing again in another by-election.

So be it. Good for the Pakatan, anyway. It's a walk-over for them. So why complain?

Ahli Umno said...

I support Dato Najib's decision which i think is a wise move so as not to be trapped in Anwar's political game luring BN into his own stronghold and territory.

Let Pakatan win, doesnt matter. The goovernment should be focussed and reviving the country's economy should be top priority.

As Dato Najib said BN shouldnt dance to the tune of PKR.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lame excuse. Just tell the truth...It is because he couldnt face another defeat.


matt said...

Najib knows there's no chance for Barisan in Penanti. No surprises for not contesting.

I think he doesnt mind losing or giving a walk-over to Pakatan in Penanti, but not in Perak where BN is fighting tooth and nail to retain control of the state.

Lee said...

Running away tails between legs is , of course, better than being defeated once more by a resurgent pakatan.It is possible this is, in fact, the beginning of the end for UMNO and BN.Imagine the public perception of the biggest political party in Malaysia turning yellow and real scared of losing a bye election that will not alter the situation in Penang?!

Anonymous said...

While BN can shy away from by-election(s) it doesn’t mean it can’t sponsor Independent candidates.

In fact this is a no risk gamble that worth every dollar. If the independent candidate loses his or her deposits it’s fine because it’s average-Joes money anyway.

If for some reasons the independent candidate wins then he or she can announce the intention to join BN because only BN can bring development and so on and so forth – you know those standard excuses to join BN, don’t you?

Bottom line is it’s not the time to fight, what more with MCA, Gerakan, MIC, PPP and other component parties still licking their wounds after more than a year since the general election.

Najib needs all the time and resources to rebuild his coalition to face the next general election, not by-elections. But first he has to fix this Perak’s problem fast as the longer it drags the easier it would be for Anwar to fish for votes.

The problem is Najib can’t say sorry and give back the Perak state, directly or indirectly, because he would lose face. So he passed the ball back to Sultan of Perak’s court.

Taken from: