Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Teoh Death Inquest: day 6

The Teoh Beng Hock Inquest was told Wednesday that the CCTV recording showed the political aide entering Plaza Masalam through the main lobby on the 4th floor at 6.08pm on July 15

This was revealed by Inspector Mohd Zulaimi Zubir who viewed the footage to check at what time Teoh had entered the building to be questioned by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

Testifying at the Teoh inquest today, Mohd Zulaimi said he was asked by his superior to review the CCTV recording seized at 7pm on July 17.

The recording was played at the inquest for the coroner to view.

Mohd Zulaimi, from the Shah Alam police headquarters' crime department, said there was no footage of Teoh leaving the building.

The footage of Teoh entering the building only showed him from the back, but Mohd Zulaimi said he recognised it as Teoh, based on his clothes.

Mohd Zulaimi, who is also one of the investigating officers in the case, said the police forensic team managed to retrieve 47 images from the CCTV recordings captured at Plaza Masalam.

"I retrieved the CCTV recordings at the Plaza Masalam lobby between midnight July 16 and 7am on July 16," he said.

The next day, Mohd Zulaimi returned to the building to seize the log book of MACC invesigating officer Mohd Anuar Ismail, who was in charge of the case.

According to the log book, Mohd Anuar had only made entries on July 8 for the period spanning July 1-15.

Today is the sixth day of the inquest before coroner Azmil Muntapha Abas.

Tuesday’s hearing stopped at the 10th witness Dr Khairul Azman Ibrahim, a senior consultant at Forensics Department Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah who said that Teoh died of multiple injuries caused by a fall from a high place.

He had said that the post-mortem showed no signs of a struggle or defensive injuries.

Dr Khairul said the political aide had 22 fractures, abrasions and bruises when the post-mortem was conducted on him on July 17.

Teoh landed on his feet and slanted to the right based on broken ribs, he said.

Based on the bad smell of the body, he said, Teoh could have died less than 36 hours before the post-mortem that was done at about noon.

Teoh, 30, political secretary to Selangor Exco Ean Yong Hian Wah was found dead on July 16 on level 5 of Plaza Masalam after giving a statement as a witness into alleged abuse of state government allocation at the Selangor Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission office.

Court adjourns to Thursday morning after the 12th witness, Mohd Zaidi Abu Hassan, from the Polis DiRaja Malaysia forensics laboratory took the stand. (reports from the Star and Malaysiakini )

No comments: