Friday, 6 February 2009

Mohd Nizar shooed away from office - Malaysiakini

Perak Menteri Besar Mohd Nizar Jamaluddin today clocked in to work as usual at 10am, along with his exco members, but 45 minutes later they were out of the state secretariat building, according to Malaysiakini

In that 45 minutes, Mohd Nizar's press conference was interrupted twice by State Secretary Abdul Rahman Hashim and Ipoh police chief Azisman Alias.

Mohd Nizar refused to hold a meeting with Abdul Rahman and left with his convoy to his official residence where he is expected to hold a press conference later.

Mohd Nizar Jamaluddin had put on a brave face when he 'clocked in' for work despite the inevitable replacement of his Pakatan Rakyat government this afternoon.

Clad in a light green baju melayu, Mohd Nizar arrived at the state secretariat building in his official vehicle at 9.40am accompanied by seven exco members.

Mohd Nizar appeared jovial and jokingly told reporters that he hadjust enjoyed a good breakfast.

Building security personnel, however, refused entry to Mohd Nizar and his exco members but later relented after a brief standoff.

Once in the building, Mohd Nizar proceeded to his office, only to find all his belongings gone.

“This is how the office looked when I first took office,” he said while smiling.

An impromptu press conference immediately took place at his desk where Mohd Nizar vowed to perform his duties as normal.

“I will talk to the investors and consultants who have a priorappointment. I will tell them that I'm sorry I have to postpone the meetings,” he said.

He said he had not recieve any written notice to vacate his office orhis official residence.

Sense of humour intact

Mohd Nizar also scoffed at suggestions of attending the swearing-inceremony of 31 Barisan Nasional state representatives at 3.30pm today.

“That is not the legitimate government elected by the people,” he said.

Despite the fact that a new menteri besar would be sworn in later today, Mohd Nizar was still able to joke about his predicament.

"I'll probably share office with him tomorrow. It is good to have a ship with two captains isn't it?" he quipped.

When a phone suddenly rang on his table, Mohd Nizar answered the call and put up a hilarious play-act in front of reporters.

“Mr Barack Obama. Thank you for your support. I think you arewonderful," he said.

But all fun and games came to an end 10-minutes into the press conference when Abdul Rahman Hashim entered Mohd Nizar's office to reprimand reporters and ask them to leave.

Following this, the police removed journalists in batches but did not ask Mohd Nizar or his exco members to leave.

Eventually, Mohd Nizar left in his official vehicle at about 10.42am and headed back to his residence.

He is scheduled to attend Friday prayers at a mosque near the Kuala Kangsar palace this afternoon.

Below is the chain of events as it happened this morning beginning with the latest entries:

12.40pm: Perak state assembly speaker V Sivakumar said he will be sending a letter to Sultan Azlan Shah seeking consent for a special state assembly sitting.

The sitting is to determine who actually controls the assembly.

He also said that he will be urging the sultan to postpone the swearing-in ceremony of Zambry Abd Kadir as the BN menteri besar today at 3.30pm.

The letter will be sent as soon as possible, he said. The brief press conference was held at DAP headquarters in Ipoh.

11am: The police closed the road in front of the menteri besar's official residence until 7pm to prevent illegal gatherings.

10:45am: Perak CPO Zulkifli Abdullah said the police have secured the state secretariat building upon a request by the state secretary.

10.42am: Mohd Nizar and his convoy drive out of the state secretariat, back to his official residence. He said that he had been allowed to use his official car until new MB Zambry Abdul Kadir is sworn-in this afternoon.

10.20am: MB Nizar and his group move to Perak DAP head Ngeh Koo Ham office in the state secretariat building.

They then continued their press conference but once again it was interrupted by Abdul Rahman.

The state secretary then asked Mohd Nizar for a meeting to which the latter disagreed.
Reporters are led out of the state secretariat building.

"I will go about as usual. I have to meet some consultants and investors later. However I will have to tell them that we have to reschedule our appointments," said Mohd Nizar.

10.15am: Mohd Nizar and his exco members hold a press conference but it is interrupted by State Secretary Abdul Rahman and the state police chief.

Abdul Rahman rudely told reporters to leave the room.Senior exco member Ngeh Koo Ham was overheard telling the police chief to follow proper procedure. "We can hand over properly," he said.

9.40am: Mohd Nizar, in a green baju Melayu, and convoy arrive at the state secretariat building. The gates are closed but after a brief standoff with the security, the MB and his exco members are allowed in.Mohd Nizar goes straight to his office and finds it bare.

"It was just as empty and bare as when I first took charge last March," he said.

9.30am: Pakatan state exco members gather at MB Mohd Nizar's official residence.

No comments: