Thursday, 14 August 2008

Anwar: Action will be taken against errant MP

PKR parliamentarian Zulkifli Noordin, who called on a crowd of angry Muslims to storm the Bar Council building last Saturday, will be asked to show cause, said Anwar Ibrahim, reports Malaysiakini.

However the party de facto leader will have to first find the elusive politician.

Zulkifli, who is Kulim-Bandar Baharu parliamentarian, has gone missing since Saturday's protest and calls made to his mobile telephone have gone unanswered. At the same time, the police denied that the parliamentarian had been detained by them.

Anwar revealed Wednesda that he too was unable to reach Zulkifli.

"I have been asked to speak to him, to give him notice... To be fair, since we are unable to contact him directly, we will have to wait until we can do so," Anwar told Malaysiakini after meeting with top fund managers at a Kuala Lumpur hotel.

Zulkifli was one of the key personalities leading the 300-strong crowd at the Bar Council headquarters to protest against the lawyers group's controversial ‘Conversion to Islam' forum.

The parliamentarian, a trained lawyer, said that he was representing the Muslim Organisations in Defence of Islam (Pembela), in which he is a member.

Zulkifli had openly back Umno-linked NGOs, which were also at the protest, in wanting to storm the Bar Council building.

However, the police advised forum organisers to abort the event soon after.

PKR deputy leader Syed Husin Ali had issued a statement on behalf of the opposition party criticising Zulkifli for his action. (read here )

"He (Zulkifli) has to be clear that party policies and party decisions must be adhered to," said Anwar.

As to what action will be taken against the errant MP, Anwar said it would be up to the PKR disciplinary board, which is headed by Syed Husin.

"We will have to first ask him to show cause and we will proceed from there," said Anwar.

‘We must allow discussion'

Anwar also expressed regret that certain party decisions were not communicated well to its members.

"I think this (the protest) has taught us a lesson that some of our decisions have to be made well understood at the lower level (of the party). Probably we didn't make it too clear."

Click here to continue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is right and fitting that Anwar and PKR take action against Zulkifli after hearing what he has to say in self defence made. The electoral petition against Zul's victory on 8 Mar is going to be heard on 19 Aug and it is certain Zul is going to be disqualified as MP on a technicality. PKR must NOT field Zul again as he has become a liability now if PKR wants to retain the seat in another impending by-election. Good luck

Anonymous said...

It is right and fitting that Anwar and PKR take action against Zulkifli after hearing what he has to say in self defence made. The electoral petition against Zul's victory on 8 Mar is going to be heard on 19 Aug and it is certain Zul is going to be disqualified as MP on a technicality. PKR must NOT field Zul again as he has become a liability now if PKR wants to retain the seat in another impending by-election. Good luck

hasanmakmur said...

Now only ANWAR say that action be taken against this errant MP. He must be speechless regarding of zulkifli's act recently.