Wednesday 30 April 2008

Anwar in Parliament - but only as spouse guest

Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was in Parliament after a 10-year absence - but this time around only as a spouse guest.

Anwar, who is also the husband of new Opposition leader Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, was at Dewan Rakyat to attend a special lunch for MPs and their spouses after the Yang di-Pertuan Agong opened the 12th Parliament.

Asked by reporters when he would be back in Parliament since he could now contest for a seat, he said:

“This is a new beginning; when I get in, I will not come out. I told my friends now that I am here, I will stay, and there will be no turning back." (read here) .

"I have not been here for 10 years, so of course I am happy ... It is timely for me to return."

Anwar also said he was very proud that both his wife and daughter were in Dewan.

“My daughter, who is the youngest MP, has to perform to ensure that we are a strong opposition, as we need to ‘shake’ Parliament,’’ he added.

On Dr Wan Azizah's claims (read here) that he had not received any invitation for the ceremony, he said apparently, the letter was not sent, adding that he was told that it was sent somewhere else. (PKR yesterday complained that an official invitation was not extended to Dr Wan Azizah and her spouse, Anwar)

“But on late Monday evening, we received the letter. I thank Azizah for reminding them. I also thanked the Speaker when I met him,’’ he said, adding that it was most probably a case of miscommunication.

Read the Star here

Go here for The Return.

Pic: Courtesy of the Sun: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim with Yang diPertuan Agong Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin after the Parliament opening.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back brother. Yes, there's no turning back. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Good to see your goodself back at where you belong.

Welcome home.

Anonymous said...

You have been sorely missed, brother!

Yes, welcome back into active politics.

Bergen said...

You're moving on up, sheikh! All the way up to the top.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dato Seri

You succeeded where the BN failed -helped galvanize the force bringing together the Opposition as Pakatan Rakyat and defeat the BN in five States. No small feat.

You can stand tall in Parliament where you rightly belong and help unite this nation of bangsa Malaysia.